8 SOCIAL MEDIA TRENDS TO WATCH IN 2019
2019 will be a crucial year for social media. Platforms will have to collectively pick up the pieces from the wreckage that was 2018. And companies will need to rethink their digital strategies to effectively connect with users.
1. “DIGITAL WELLBEING” WILL BECOME A STRONGER TOPIC OF CONVERSATION
2. COMPANIES WILL DIVERSIFY AND INVEST LESS IN FACEBOOK
3. STORIES VS. FEEDS
4. IS SNAPCHAT ON ITS WAY OUT?
5. THE PUSH TOWARD VIDEO AND TV GOES DEEPER
6. GETTING PAST A YEAR FULL OF DISTRUST AND MISINFORMATION
7. PAYING MORE FOR LESS RETURN
8. MORE TIME WITH 1:1 CONVERSATIONS, LESS SHARING ACROSS NETWORKS
Finally, here’s a fun one: messaging apps have more users than all traditional social networks combined.
WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, WeChat, QQ and Skype account for nearly 5 billion users worldwide. And as Reuters Institute’s Digital News Report points out, across the board, users are spending more time on messaging and less time sharing news on social media feeds.
As a result, the shift from public to more private spaces is changing consumer expectations overall.
So, in 2019, expect to see more companies using messaging platforms to reach out to users.
Rather than building a presence on even more channels, companies could greatly benefit from utilising Facebook Messenger on their company page, or even enabling WhatsApp as a customer service channel.
To take this even further, using in-app bots or executing campaigns that have a messaging component can really drive further engagement and gives companies a more personal touch when interacting with customers.